Black Sea German Research

On-line forum for Germans from Russia Researchers

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

We want to welcome you to our forums but also keep spammers from spoiling your experience.
To be able to add new Topics or Reply to existing Topics we ask you to please send us an email using the link at the top of this page introducing yourself, telling us the username you wish and describing your village and surname research. When we receive your email we will register you as quickly as we can so you will be able to post messages on our forums. Please remember, we're all volunteers so it could take a couple days to complete your registration. Thanks for your patience!
Your First Post will be Moderated: This means that the first time you add a new topic or reply to an existing topic your post will not appear immediately. One of our administrators will have to approve your post before it will be viewable by everyone. After that your posts will be viewable immediately.
Advertising is Limited: If you know of a German Russian relevant publication available for purchase you may post information about that product on our forums but forum moderators will move or delete posts if they become repetitive.

Post subject: Niverville, Hanover RM, Manitoba, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:05 am 
Site Admin

One of the newspaper clips for my grandparents (Jacob and Millie GAUER) 50th wedding anniversary celebration mentioned that the couple had lived in NIVERVILLE south of Winnipeg for a couple of years. I have confirmed that a "Henry GAUER" (a brother of Jacob) owned property in Niverville at one time but I can find no other records of the GAUERs living in Niverville or the surrounding Hanover rural municipality. Does anyone have any family from Niverville or Hanover RM that might be able to help me research this?

It is possible he was there to build the Niverville school (built 1912) as he was a bricklayer / contractor and had built churches and other brick structures in Winnipeg.

Post subject: Re: Niverville, Hanover RM, Manitoba, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:33 pm 

from July 1917 Winnipeg newspaper is the following article

Margaret, one-year-old daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Gauer. 307
Gunnell street, died July 4, and was
interred yesterday in Elmwood cemetery

there is also a wife Barbara of Jacob obituary notice
did Jacob remarry?

there is also another Jacob
On November 30th, 1964, at
Winnipeg... General H o s p i t a l ,
Jacob Gauer, aged 76 years, beoved
husband of Amelia Gauer...

there is also Amelia's obit
AMELIA (MILLIE)
GAUER
On April 15th, 1966, at Toronto,
Amelia (Millie) Gauer,
formerly of Winnipeg, widow of
the late Jacob Gauer.

I have membership to this newspaper site. I can be reached at bohn-kitchur@hotmail.ca
if you would like copies. these are saved as PDF documents.

also try the following web site
http://www.ourroots.ca/
for family history writeups
you will have to register to use this site, but its free.

Darrel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the Articles Darrel!

Not any new information and I do have copies of the newspaper clippings (photocopied at Winnipeg Library) but thanks for looking anyway.

Margaret was my Dad's sister and she was never mentioned until I showed him her death notice that you found. I guess it was too painful for the family. She is buried in an unmarked grave in Elmwood cemetery in Winnipeg... along with over 5,000 other children that died young back then! :( If anyone has family that died really young in Winnipeg around 1900 then I have a link to an article I can share about these children.

The Jacob Gauer (b. 1875) that married Barbara Seel was my gr-grandfather Rudolph's (b. 1864) brother. Lots of confusion. :) I am still trying to find more about the Jacob & Barbara Gauer family in Canada.

Jacob and Amelia Gauer are my grandparents. My grandfather Jacob was born in 1888 in Nesselrode, Russia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:35 pm 

there was quite a few other of your family names in the newspapers - is there anyone you are missing or would like futher information on? I don't mind looking.

Can you post the link to the article you mentioned on the Elmwood cemetary?

Last edited by kitchur on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:40 pm 

two books on the town of Niverville are:
The singing kettle : memories of growing up during the thirties in the small village of Niverville, Manitoba / Elizabeth Newfeld.

and

Niverville : a history, 1878-1986

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

kitchur wrote:
there was quite a few other of your family names in the newspapers - is there anyone you are missing or would like futher information on? I don't mind looking.

Can you post the link to the article you mentioned on the Elmwood cemetary?

I spent most of a day at the Winnipeg library going through their newspaper archive tool for all Gauers but perhaps you have access to articles I haven't seen. If you have the time and are willing I would love to see and index of all hits for "Gauer" in your newspaper archive. I have been researching the Gauer's in Canada for 15 years so I can pretty quickly determine if anything in an index is new to me.

The very sad article I mentioned about Elmwood is at http://www.elmwoodfriends.ca/Lindor.htm. They can point you to gravesites if you have a name and date of death. Whether or not there is a headstone is another matter. From 1902 on it was an important cemetery in Winnipeg. Now it is struggling to survive and pay the maintenance bills.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

kitchur wrote:
two books on the town of Niverville are:
The singing kettle : memories of growing up during the thirties in the small village of Niverville, Manitoba / Elizabeth Newfeld.

and

Niverville : a history, 1878-1986

This is wonderful! These books aren't on http://www.ourroots.ca/ :-( There is a copy of "Niverville : a history, 1878-1986" at the University of Calgary library so either visiting there on the way home from Spokane, trying interlibrary loan or buying it seem to be possibilities for this book.

Do you know where I could get access to these books? Perhaps the Manitoba Genealogical Society or the Manitoba Archives have a copies? Thank you! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:41 pm 

MGS might have one. they also have a facebook site that you could place a post, someone there or a facebook member might even scan and email you the pages. Also maybe check SGGEE web site. this site is mostly membership, a few areas are open to the public including their post area. never hurts to ask if someone there can do a lookup for you as well.

http://sggee.org/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:52 pm 

I have membership to newspaperarchive.com web site, I've found quite a few good items of interest there. there really isn't a index it gives a brief description of the article (shown below) If you can't find someone to scan you copies of the Niverville book, let me know. I did have it in my hands at one time as I had the library here order it in. I more than likely could get it again. Also the Winnipeg Public Library web site has the book.... Maybe some at the library would do a lookup for you!

**EXAMPLE**
State: Manitoba
Winnipeg Free Press - October 10, 1912, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Mr. and Mrs. W. Handel, was married to Mr. Henry Gauer, Rev. Mr. Rucctus of- ficiating. The church was decorated...
Refine by:
Date: Thursday, October 10, 1912
City: Winnipeg

State: Manitoba
Winnipeg Free Press - May 5, 1913, Winnipeg, Manitoba
auite informal and the were assisted by their ilrs. Henry Gauer and founcl to ..araoiint tbf bjjjldihgs -large- quantity grrain, A...
Refine by:
Date: Monday, May 05, 1913

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:11 pm 

This Elmwood cemetery site, I have seen it before, just forgot about, thanks for posting. we have had them help us in locating a grave site for my grandfather's sister. we did find it! what we noticed was that some of the ground grave name plates/markers have actually sunken and grass has overgrown them. If you can manage to find a corner of one and do a little clearing you can reveal a hidden treasure of sorts. Rumor has it that they are in the works of doing a website (much like the Brookside cemetery) to list the grave sites, names and dates!